What is known as Weights and Measures in common parlance, this wing is entrusted with the work of checking and inspection of weights and measures in all the commercial establishments across Punjab.
The main objectives of the Legal Metrology Organization is to safe guard the interest of the consumers by ensuring that goods sold and bought are correct in quantity and volume as claimed. The Weights and Measures department is on the concurrent list of the Constitution of India. The Department of Legal Metrology at all India Level is headed by the Director, Legal Metrology, whose office is located at the Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi. The Organization enforces the Legal Metrology Act, 2009, standards of Weight and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985, to maintain accuracy in weighing and measuring instruments in the country and to regulate intra/interstate and international trade.
One Working Standard Laboratory of Weights & Measures is attached with Inspector Legal Metrology and One Secondary Standard Laboratory of Weights & Measures is attached with Assistant Controller Legal Metrology at Divisional Level.
The Organization is currently dealing with approximately 2 lac business establishments in the State. The Legal Metrology Organization registers dealers, repairers and manufactures and renews their licenses every calendar year. Presently 619 licenses of dealers/repairers/manufacturers are registered with the department.
Main functions of the organization of Legal Metrology are:
- Grant & Renewal of licences of Manufacturers, Repairers and Dealers of Weights & Measures
- To standardize all types of weights & measures and weighing and measuring instruments through annual verification after receiving prescribed fee.
- It also enforces the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011, there by ensuring that all packaged Commodities and containers carry a declarations indicating the commodities packaged therein regarding net weight, volume, length, maximum retail price and the date of manufacturing/packaging etc.
- All user of any kind of weight, measures and measuring instruments are required to get them verified annually. All manufacturers, repairers and dealers of weight and measures are issued licenses by the Organization, which are required to be renewed annually.
- To conduct regular inspections to ensure that no contravention of the law takes place. For this it has to carryout regular surprise raids at the manufacturer and retail outlets.
For acheiving these objectives, the Branch works under the tenets of :-
- The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
- The Legal Metrology Rules, 2013
- The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011